Roasted cauliflower tossed with za’atar spice, toasted pine nuts, sticky sweet dates, and fresh thyme. Now that’s a vegetarian side dish I can get behind.
The Secret To Roasted Cauliflower – Za’atar Spice!
If there’s one piece of advice I can give you for elevating basic roasted vegetables – it’s using fresh herbs and spices. And since cauliflower is much lighter in flavor, za’atar spice and fresh thyme gives this vegetarian dish layers of earthy, herby, tangy, and nutty flavor.
Not to mention, the toasted pine nuts and sweet Medjool dates really makes this the best roasted cauliflower dishes ever. So if you’re in a pinch and need some bangin’ veggies to round out a meal – this side dish will impress every time.
What’s In This Roasted Cauliflower Recipe
Good news – everything in this recipe is pantry-friendly. Anything that’s leftover can also be used for many other dishes where you need added texture or flavor. No waste here!
- Cauliflower: Just one head is needed for 4 servings. So if you’re serving a larger crowd, grab another head and double the rest of the ingredients.
- Za’atar Spice: You can find za’atar spice online or in a few health stores. But if you’re one to make spices yourself, it’s really easy to make at home with my za’atar spice recipe.
- Pine Nuts: Pine nuts are my favorite for a soft texture and mild nutty taste. Especially in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean dishes.
- Medjool Dates: The soft dates add a sticky sweetness that balances the earthy za’atar
- Thyme: Make sure to use fresh thyme – it’ll make all the difference.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
How To Roast Cauliflower
Roasting is honestly one of my favorite ways to cook veggies. It gives them a crisp, golden brown exterior, with a soft and perfectly cooked interior. Plus, it’s pretty hands off once they go in the oven. Who doesn’t love that combo? So first, let’s get your oven preheated to 400°F.
- Prep the cauliflower. On a baking sheet, toss the cauliflower florets with some olive oil, the za’atar spice, salt and pepper.
- Roasting time. Cook the cauliflower for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Make sure to toss the cauliflower halfway through so it’s evenly cooked.
- Prep the pine nuts and dates. While the cauliflower is cooking, toast the pine nuts for 1 to 2 minutes. Then chop up the dates and thyme.
- Toss and serve. Add the cauliflower to a large serving bowl, and toss with the pine nuts, dates, and thyme. Your dish is ready to serve!
Storing Oven Roasted Cauliflower
In the likelihood you have leftovers, roasted cauliflower will keep for up to 3 to 4 days in the fridge in a sealed container.
Roasted Vegetables For Days!
Lucky for you, there’s tons of options to choose from when roasting vegetables. But here’s a few favorites to get you started.
This za’atar roasted cauliflower will always hit the spot for a flavorsome side. Once you make it, let me know what you think in a comment below!
Za’atar Roasted Cauliflower with Dates and Pine Nuts
Roasted cauliflower tossed with za’atar spice, toasted pine nuts, sticky sweet dates, and fresh thyme – the best vegetarian dish ever!
Calories: 289kcal, Carbohydrates: 36g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Monounsaturated Fat: 9g, Sodium: 626mg, Potassium: 745mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 27g, Vitamin A: 119IU, Vitamin C: 71mg, Calcium: 79mg, Iron: 3mg
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Originally posted February 2016, but updated to include new information.