Simple and quick to make and perfectly cheesy and comforting, this easy broccoli rice casserole is the perfect go to recipe after a long day. Hearty and filling, this rice bake is sure to become a family favorite.
Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole
Broccoli rice casserole has been a staple in our family for as long as I can remember, and for good reason.
Perfect for a filling family dinner, this comes together so easily for an effortless meal and it’s a great go to after a long day.
Perfectly cheesy, it’s great as a main or side dish, and I guarantee it will become a constant on your weekly menu.
Be sure to try my Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole and Slow Cooker Velveeta Broccoli Rice too!
Why You’ll Love this Broccoli Rice Casserole Recipe:
- SO EASY: It takes minutes to put together this casserole before it gets baked in the oven.
- SIMPLE INGREDIENTS: You only need a handful of ingredients to make up this casserole. It’s a great budget friendly meal that the whole family will love.
- MAKE AHEAD: Perfect for meal prep, this recipe is freezer friendly too.
If you are in a bit of a dinner rut, then give this casserole a spin. It will be an instant hit and you’ll love how easy it is!
How to Make Broccoli Rice Casserole
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Soften the onion and garlic in butter.
- Stir in the rice and pour in the chicken broth and simmer.
- Add the broccoli and cover til tender.
- Stir in the milk, soup and cheese.
- Transfer to a baking dish and top with more cheese.
- Bake and serve.
Use any kind of long grain white rice in this recipe. I don’t recommend making substitutes as the liquid ratio could be off – this recipe is specifically for long grain white rice.
No. Add uncooked long grain white rice in step 3.
Yes. Stir in 2 cups of cooked shredded (or cubed) chicken in step 5.
Store leftover broccoli rice casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
This broccoli rice casserole is a super filling dinner by itself, or serve it up as a side with some of these favorite mains.
However you enjoy it, this recipe is a keeper! Full of flavor, it’s perfectly comforting.
- Use a large pot to cook the casserole before baking it. This recipe makes enough for 8 servings, so make sure your pot is big enough!
- This recipe is easily doubled, but if you do make extra, be sure to use a larger baking dish.
- Try adding in other veggies. Toss in some carrots or frozen mixed veg with the broccoli.
Creamy and cheesy, this is one delicious meal. I also love that it’s freezer friendly, perfect for those lazy dinners after a long day!
Can I use frozen broccoli?
Yes. Let the frozen broccoli florets thaw, drain any excess liquid, and chop into pieces. Add the chopped broccoli in step 4 and continue with the recipe as written.
What other kind of soup can I use?
Instead of cream of chicken soup, use cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup.
What kind of cheese should I use?
Use your favorite kind of shredded cheese. I love using shredded cheddar cheese in this casserole. For best results, buy a block of cheese and shred it yourself – freshly shredded cheese melts better than pre-shredded cheese.
This broccoli rice casserole recipe is a traditional family favorite, and for good reason. Simple to make, simple ingredients and everyone who tries it LOVES it!
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!