Fluffy, homemade Buttermilk Pancakes are the perfect breakfast. These pancakes are super soft and airy inside and with a beautifully buttery crisp edge. After trying this recipe, you won’t want the pre-made mix again. The best part is that they are so quick and easy to make (done in under 30 minutes).
We love homemade pancakes from Banana Pancakes to Ricotta Pancakes. If you are a fan of pancake recipes, this Buttermilk Pancakes recipe is a must-try. Watch the video tutorial and get all of our tips and tricks for making the best pancakes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
The Best Pancake Recipe
Your search for the perfect pancakes is over! My mother-in-law shared this recipe with me early on in our marriage and we’ve been making it for years. Making pancakes from scratch always gets two thumbs up from everyone in the family and it’s one of those ‘regular rotation’ types of recipes. Here’s why you will love this recipe:
- Easy – it’s literally stirring together wet ingredients and dry ingredients. It’s hard to mess up.
- Fluffy – these puff up beautifully which means they go down easy. They feel light and satisfying.
- Make-ahead – although I think the batter puffs up the very best the same day it’s mixed, we have kept leftover batter to sautee the next day and it works. You can also reheat leftover pancakes in the toaster.
- Crisp edges – this is my favorite part. Biting into a crisp edge is so satisfying. The butter in the recipe and on the skillet crisps up the edges and adds a nice texture dimension.
- Versatile – you can serve these up with any pancake toppings.
Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes Video
Watch Natasha make this Pancake Recipe and see how easy it is. Now go forth and cook up your new favorite pancakes. Don’t forget the Honey Butter and Raspberry Maple Syrup. Yum!
- Flour – I recommend using all-purpose flour for the right batter consistency
- Sugar – granulated sugar isn’t just to make the pancakes sweeter. It helps with the browning in the pan and crisping up the edges.
- Baking powder & baking soda – both of these leavenings combined give these amazing rise and lightness. The baking soda is activated by the buttermilk to make the pancakes extra fluffy.
- Salt – brings out the sweet flavors of the pancakes
- Buttermilk – adds a wonderful tang to add depth of flavor and activates baking soda to give the pancakes a lift.
- Eggs – use large eggs. They can be straight out of the refrigerator.
- Vanilla extract – adds a nice flavor and aroma. Homemade vanilla extract is even better.
- Butter – melted and whisked in at the end to add richness and moisture to the pancakes.
Pro Tip: To sautee pancakes, we love using either light olive oil, or for an added layer of flavor, try unrefined coconut oil. It has a higher smoke point than butter and it’s the secret to the best tasting pancakes!
How to Make Buttermilk Pancakes
- Dry Ingredients – in a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Wet Ingredients – in a second bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla
- Combine – pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk just until moistened.
- Add melted butter – while stirring, add melted butter and whisk just until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Sautee – Preheat a large non-stick pan or cast iron skillet or griddle over medium heat (325 – 350˚F on a griddle). Add 2 Tbsp oil and drop heaping spoonfuls (about 1/4 cup or 2 oz ice cream scoop full) of batter for each pancake, keeping some space between pancakes for easy flipping. Sautee 3 minutes per side. Flip when you see bubbles form and start to pop.
Pro Tip: Do not overmix your pancakes. Mixing develops gluten so overmixing will result in tough and dense pancakes. Don’t worry about lumps in the batter.
Regular pancakes are made with milk while buttermilk pancakes are made with buttermilk. The buttermilk adds a comforting tang and makes the pancakes more moist, fluffy, and tender.
You can make your own buttermilk by combining milk and vinegar or lemon juice. To make 2 cups of buttermilk, fill your measuring cup with 2 Tbsp of vinegar and add enough milk to reach 2 cups. Stir and let it sit for 5 minutes then use it in the recipe.
Use either a griddle or a heavy pan with even heat distribution. We love using our cast-iron pan or
Place ready pancakes on a baking sheet and keep warm in a 200˚F oven for up to 45 minutes before serving.
Tiny bubbles will form on the surface of your pancake. Wait until you see those bubbles start popping and forming tiny holes on the surface of your pancake then flip. This takes about 3 minutes.
To Serve Buttermilk Pancakes
We love to serve this with whichever seasonal fruits and toppings we have on hand. You can keep it simple with maple syrup or load on the berries and toppings on special mornings.
- Fruit – all berries, sliced stone fruit, bananas,
- Butter – a thin pat of softened butter melts beautifully over warm pancakes
- Syrup – use real maple syrup, honey, agave or your syrup of choice
- Sauce – Strawberry Sauce, Cherry Sauce, or melted chocolate
- Nuts – chopped toasted nuts or shaved coconut
- Bacon – chopped Baked Bacon for a sweet and savory combination
- To Refrigerate: The pancakes will be the fluffiest if cooked the same day, however, you can cover and store leftover batter in the refrigerator overnight and cook the following day.
- To Reheat: Warm leftover pancakes on a skillet, in a toaster, or in the air fryer just until heated through.
I hope these buttermilk pancakes make it on your regular breakfast rotation. They are well-loved in our family. Let me know what is your favorite topping for pancakes in the comments.
More Pancake Recipes to try
If you love these fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes, then you won’t want to miss these top-rated pancake recipes.
Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Fluffy Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes are the perfect breakfast. This pancake recipe is quick and easy to make (done in less than 30 minutes!)
Cost to Make:
Servings: 15 pancakes (each 4″ in diameter)
unsalted butter, melted
light olive oil, plus more as needed to sauté
In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
In a separate medium mixing bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk until blended. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk everything together by hand until just moistened.
While whisking, add melted butter and stir until incorporated. The mixture will still be lumpy. Do not overmix.
Heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat, or a griddle between 325-350˚F. Add 2 Tbsp oil. If you plan to keep cooked pancakes warm, preheat the oven to 200˚F.
Add about 1/4 cup or a 2 oz ice cream scoop full of batter to the skillet for each pancake and saute about 3 minutes per side. Flip once the pancakes are golden brown on the first side and you see bubbles forming and popping on the surface.
Transfer pancakes to a baking sheet and keep warm in a 200˚F oven for up to 45 minutes or until ready to serve.
Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2g13%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Vitamin A 117IU2%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
This buttermilk pancake recipe was originally published in 2013. We updated the recipe to make them fluffier than ever and added a video tutorial. Here is the original photo.