From my Learn to Cook Series comes a homemade cream of celery soup recipe. Long before soup came out of a can, people made their soups from scratch. You will find this cream of celery soup recipe amazing. Best of all you can make a delicious pot of soup in about 25 minutes. You won’t believe how good this homemade cream of celery soup can taste!
Creamy Celery Soup
Celery is a much-maligned vegetable often relegated to adding the crunch in tuna salads or being the base for kids’ snacks. But this delicious homemade cream of celery soup recipe puts celery where it belongs, on center stage.
Easy to make and so much healthier than anything you can find in a can, this creamy celery soup will take your tuna noodle casserole or scalloped potatoes to the next level. The next time you need cream of celery soup for your favorite recipe, skip the trip to the store and try this recipe instead!
Why homemade cream of celery soup is the best!
Canned soups, are well, canned soups, and they aren’t packed full of flavor like a good old-fashioned one. You can make a simple celery soup in minutes. In fact, you can make this soup in less time than it will take you to go to the grocery store. When you make food from scratch, you make it without all of the preservatives. This soup is a good swap for recipes containing cream of mushroom soup or even cream of chicken soup.
Why make cream of celery soup from scratch?
One bite is all it takes to make one delicious bowl of soup. I promise if you have never tried making this before, you are going to be amazed at how good your homemade is going to taste. Did I mention this is an easy celery soup to make?
I bet you already have everything on hand, but to make this recipe you will need:
- Butter – you can use salted or unsalted
- Onions – either white onions or yellow onions will work
- All-purpose flour
- Whole milk
- Salt – you could add some additional seasonings like garlic powder, a touch of nutmeg, or whatever else spices and herbs you enjoy.
How to Make Cream of Celery Soup
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, combine butter and chopped onion.
- Cook until onion becomes translucent.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the onions when cooking them.
- Add 2 cups chopped celery to the pan.
- Stir for a moment or two.
- Add 2 tablespoons of flour to the pot and cook for about a minute. Cook the flour until it becomes fragrant like pie crust.
- Add about 1/2 cup of milk to the pot and stir until the soup begins to thicken.
- Then add another 1/2 of milk and stir until the soup begins to thicken.
- Add the remaining milk in 1/2 cups increments until all of the milk is used.
- Turn the soup down to low, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the celery becomes soft and tender.
- You may want to garnish the soup with some chopped celery, or even croutons when you are ready to serve.
Want to make a vegan cream of celery soup?
Swap out the butter for your favorite butter substitute, and swap out the whole milk for unflavored almond milk or cashew milk.
Tips for Eating and Serving Creamy Celery Soup
- Serve it immediately after it cooks with hot bread and butter.
- Serve as a first course instead of a salad for dinner.
- Cut the fat and calories. Make a healthy celery soup by switching to low-fat milk and margarine.
- Make it a meal. Serve with croutons and bacon bits to turn the creamy celery soup into a light dinner, meatless Monday.
How to Store and Reheat
You will want to serve any leftover portions in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. They will last 3 to 5 days. I recommend heating it up in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat. You may need to add a bit of milk as the soup can become thick when left in the refrigerator.
This soup freezes well. So you can freeze any leftover portions in an air-tight container or vacuum-sealed bag in the freezer. This will last in your freezer for up to three months. When you want to reheat the frozen soup, I recommend thawing completely and then heating up the soup in a pan on the stovetop.
I hope you give this recipe a try! I think you will be amazed at the great flavor, I bet you will think this is the best cream of celery soup recipe.
Love soup? Try these recipes:
More Learn to Cook Easy Recipes
Be sure to check out more of the best soup recipes and learning to cook at home.
Cream of Celery Soup
You can make great tasting cream of celery soup with a few simple ingredients.
Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat combine butter and chopped onion. Cook until onion becomes translucent. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the onions when cooking them. Add 2 cups chopped celery to the onions and stir for a moment or two. Add 2 tablespoons of flour to the pot and cook for about a minute. Cook the flour until it becomes fragrant like pie crust.
Add about 1/2 cup of milk to the pot and stir until the soup begins to thicken. Then add another 1/2 of milk and stir until the soup begins to thicken. Add the remaining milk in 1/2 cups increments until all of the milk is used. Turn the soup down to low, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the celery becomes soft and tender. You may want to garnish the soup with some chopped celery, or even croutons when you are ready to serve.
Calories: 148kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 288mg | Potassium: 292mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 600IU | Vitamin C: 1.9mg | Calcium: 158mg | Iron: 0.3mg