This creamy Tuscan Chicken pairs chicken breasts with mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh spinach, all in an irresistible savory, cheesy cream sauce. Watch the video tutorial and see how easy it is.
If you love one-pan chicken recipes like Chicken Madeira or Chicken Marsala, this Tuscan Chicken Recipe is sure to become a new favorite.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Easy Tuscan Chicken Recipe
We’re always looking for winning Chicken Breast Recipes and easy dinner ideas, and this recipe for Tuscan Chicken is definitely one of those dishes you’ll find yourself making again and again.
The chicken breasts are tender and juicy, mushrooms add earthy flavor, and sun-dried tomatoes give the dish some Tuscan flair—and it’s all tossed with a creamy Parmesan sauce. It’s a restaurant-worthy dish you can make at home for a fraction of the cost. Here’s why you will love this recipe:
- Simple – it’s an easy recipe for busy weeknights.
- Mouthwatering – The chicken is juicy and tender.
- Irresistible Sauce – It has a creamy, cheesy sauce that you’ll want to eat with a spoon.
- Versatile – You can pair it with so many different sides and salads.
We love easy chicken recipes from Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta to Chicken Lasagna. If you feel the same, then this Tuscan Chicken is a must-try.
Tuscan Chicken Video Tutorial
Watch Natasha make Tuscan Chicken, then grab the ingredients below and give it a try for yourself. P.S. Here’s the Splatter Guard for sauteeing that I showed you in the video.
Scroll down to the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Chicken breasts – You’ll need two large chicken breasts; about 1 1/2 pounds total.
- Salt – we use fine sea salt, but you can substitute and add it to taste
- Black pepper – Freshly cracked pepper is always best
- Garlic powder – dried garlic is perfect to season chicken so it doesn’t burn on the skillet
- Olive oil and Butter – this combination prevents the butter from burning
- Mushrooms – Use brown or white mushrooms
- Sun-dried tomatoes – buy them packed in oil for more flavor
- Green onion – chop the light and dark green parts. You can also use chives
- Garlic – fresh minced garlic will give your sauce the best flavor
- Heavy whipping cream – or sub with regular whipping cream
- Parmesan cheese – Freshly shredded off the block is best, as it will melt into the sauce more smoothly
- Baby spinach – Or, try adding baby arugula if you prefer. It has a peppery flavor that complements the other flavors in this dish.
Pro Tip: When cooking with acidic ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes, it’s important to use a non-reactive skillet. Avoid cast iron, aluminum, or copper, which reacts with acidic ingredients and can curdle the sauce. A ceramic, enamel-coated, or stainless steel skillet are all good options for this recipe.
How to Make Tuscan Chicken
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, it’s time to get cooking! Here’s what you’ll need to do.
- Cook the Chicken – Melt a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil in a non-reactive skillet set over medium heat. Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper; cook the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF on an instant-read thermometer. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board.
- Cook the Vegetables – Return the pan to medium heat and add another tablespoon of oil, along with the mushrooms. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the mushrooms are golden and the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, green onions, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and cook for another minute, or until fragrant.
- Make the Cream Sauce – Stir the cream into the mushroom mixture, then sprinkle 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese over the top. Bring to a light boil, stirring frequently, then reduce to a simmer. Let the sauce simmer for about 2 minutes, or until it thickens slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Finish the Dish – Stir in the spinach until it wilts, then add the chicken back to the pan. Spoon the sauce over the chicken, then remove the pan from the heat and garnish with chives, if desired.
Pro Tip: Use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken to make sure it’s safe to eat, but not over-cooked either. It should reach 165ºF, but not go much higher than this. Chicken that is cooked too long will be tough.
Tuscan Chicken is a chicken dish that originated in the Tuscany region of Italy. It pairs a creamy Parmesan sauce with chicken breasts, spinach, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes.
Look for chicken breasts that are pale pink in color, with very little visible fat. To ensure they cook evenly, choose two chicken breasts that are similar in size.
Yes, if you’re not a fan of mushrooms, you can substitute drained and quartered artichoke hearts (not marinated) or fresh asparagus.
If you’d like, you can bake the chicken breasts in the oven, but the sauce will still need to be made on the stovetop. Once the chicken is done baking, add it to the skillet with the sauce, then serve.
Baby spinach is preferable to “regular” or mature spinach, as it wilts in the sauce quickly. It also has a milder flavor, making it perfect for picky kids.
If you have a skillet large enough to fit 4 large chicken breasts, you can double this recipe. The sauce will take a bit longer to thicken, but other than that, the recipe will be the same.
We love to chop the cooked chicken before returning it to the skillet; this way, it will soak up the tomato Alfredo sauce. Serve this as a main dish paired with:
How to Store and Reheat
While this recipe is best eaten the day it’s made, you’ll also be able to enjoy leftovers.
- To Refrigerate: Store Tuscan Chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: Tuscan Chicken can be frozen in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
- To Reheat: If you’ve frozen the chicken, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat it in the microwave or in a skillet set over medium heat, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
This creamy Tuscan Chicken recipe is sure to become one of your go-to weeknight meals.
More Chicken Recipes to Try
If you love this Tuscan Chicken, then you won’t want to miss these chicken recipes:
Tuscan Chicken Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Pair this Tuscan Chicken with pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes for an easy weeknight dinner the entire family will love!
Cost to Make:
creamy tuscan chicken, tuscan chicken recipe
Servings: 4 servings
large chicken breasts, halved (1 1/2 lbs)
fine sea salt, divided, plus more to taste
freshly ground black pepper, divided
light olive oil, divided
brown mushrooms, thickly sliced
sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
green onion, green parts, chopped
garlic cloves, minced
heavy whipping cream
parmesan cheese, finely shredded
fresh baby spinach
In a large non-reactive skillet over medium heat and melt in 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp olive oil. Season chicken all over with about 1/2 salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp garlic powder. Add chicken to the hot skillet and sauté 3-5 minutes per side, or until cooked through to a safe internal temperature of 165 ̊F on an instant-read thermometer.
Remove chicken from the pan and transfer to a cutting board to cool then slice chicken if desired.
In the same pan over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp oil and sliced mushrooms, and sauté 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until lightly golden and excess liquid has evaporated. Add chopped sun-dried tomatoes, green onion, minced garlic 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Sauté another 1 minute or until garlic is fragrant.
Stir in cream and sprinkle 1/2 cup parmesan cheese over the top. Bring to a light boil, stirring frequently then reduce heat and simmer (2 minutes) until sauce is slightly thickened. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
Add spinach and stir just until wilted. Add chicken back to the pan, and spoon warm sauce over it then remove from heat. Garnish with chives if desired.
Important: use a stainless steel skillet or non-reactive skillet. Avoid cast iron or copper which reads with acidic ingredients and can curdle the sauce.
Tuscan Chicken Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 405
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 24g150%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 15g
Vitamin A 2901IU58%
Vitamin C 10mg12%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.