2 tsp unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp low-fat milk(1 percent milk fat)
1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated (reserve 1 tsp for garnish)
1 1/2 tsp instant espresso coffee powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
10 ice cubes
6 egg whites
1 tbsp granulated sugar
3/4 cup thawed frozen dairy whipped topping, divided
1. In 1-quart saucepan sprinkle gelatin over milk and let stand for 1 minute to soften; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin is completely dissolved, about 1 minute.
2. Add chocolate, espresso powder, and vanilla; cook, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted.
3. In large mixing bowl combine ice cubes and enough cold water to cover.
4. Transfer chocolate mixture to medium mixing bowl.
5. Set bowl of chocolate mixture in bowl of ice water and let stand, stirring frequently with a rubber scraper, until mixture is cool to the touch and the consistency of egg whites, about 2 minutes.
6. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, in large mixing bowl beat egg whites and sugar until soft peaks form; set aside.
7. Remove bowl of chocolate mixture from ice water.
8. Using a rubber scraper, stir 1/4 cup of the whipped topping into the chocolate mixture; fold in 1/4 cup whipped topping.
9. Fold in the beaten egg whites, one third at a time.
10. Into eight 6-ounce dessert dishes spoon a n equal amount of the mousse mixture.
11. Refrigerate overnight or at least 2 hours.
12. To serve, top each portion with 1 1/2 tsp of the remaining whipped topping and 1/8 tsp of the reserved chocolate.
Makes 8 servings