Want a big bowl of shrimpy comfort food? This Creamy Shrimp Alfredo recipe is going to hit the spot! Butter, cream, salt, and copious amounts of garlic go into this easy sauce recipe that can be put on top of a big pile of pasta or your favorite pasta substitute.
Easy Creamy Shrimp Alfredo
Homemade alfredo sauce is one of the easiest dishes to make! This one only has five ingredients, and takes less than an hour to make from start to finish.
This recipe is one that even my picky kids don’t complain about. Creamy, cheesy noodles. Tender shrimp. And not a million dishes to wash? Winning! (Especially for whomever is on dish duty that night.)
Shrimp Alfredo shopping list
Wondering if you have to hit the store? Here’s the list of items you’ll need to make this recipe. For specific amounts, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- parmigiano reggiano
- parsley (optional, for garnish)
How to make Creamy Shrimp Alfredo Recipe
This is just the overview so you can see what you’re actually getting into here. When you are cooking, you’ll want to use the full recipe at the bottom of the page.
Cook the shrimp in the butter until they are pink. Add in the garlic during the last minute or so. Remove the shrimp but reserve the butter in the pan.
Make the sauce
Add in the cream to the buttery pan. Simmer over medium to medium-low heat. Add in the cheese, slowly, stirring while adding. Cook, simmering lightly, until the sauce is as thick as you’d like.
Add the shrimp back
Toss them back into the sauce and let it sit over low heat for 3-4 minutes.
Toss the shrimp and sauce with hot cooked pasta and top it all with some extra grated parmigiano reggiano.
Shrimp Alfredo Recipe FAQ
The microwave works really well for our alfredo! Promise it won’t turn into a gloopy mess. I do suggest storing the pasta and sauce separately, however.
Nope! It is essential to this recipe. I’ve made this with half and half before, but the sauce is much easier to “break” that way. Milk doesn’t typically enjoy being simmerred, and sometimes that can go real haywire.
More delicious pasta recipes here!
- 6 tablespoons butter, salted
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2-3 cups parmigiano reggiano
- salt to taste
- Melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the shrimp and the garlic and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside, but reserve the butter!
- Add your heavy cream. Keep heat on medium-low, stirring frequently, until lightly bubbling.
- Slowly add cheese while stirring. Turn heat down a bit and continue to cook until desired thickness is reached.
- Add back in the shrimp about 3-4 minutes before serving. Serve over fettuccine or linguine.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 885Total Fat: 69gSaturated Fat: 41gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 366mgSodium: 2732mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 48g
Nutrition data provided here is only an estimate. If you are tracking these things for medical purposes please consult an outside, trusted source. Thanks!