If you love dipping hot wings in ranch sauce you’re going to amazed at how good these air fryer ranch wings are.
These ranch wings were the best wings I’ve made in the air fryer, no joke. They are juicy on the inside, golden and burnished on the outside and coated in finger licking ranch seasoning. They remind me of a naked buttermilk fried chicken sans breading. I didn’t dip them in ranch because they were perfect as is, but if you do choose the ranch dip route, you’re a ranch hero!
These ranch wings are naked wings that are seasoned with ranch flavors, no breading or coating required. The buttermilk in the ranch seasoning perfectly browns in the air fryer and adds tang and tenderization. I love them because they’re crispy, juicy, and naked. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good crunchy coated wing, but there’s something about the simplicity of naked wings that is amazing. Especially when they’re ranch flavor. Think of ranch chips, but wings. Seriously good! Pro tip, dip them in hot sauce for a reverse wing experience.
The secret ingredient to golden air fryer wings
There are two secrets to this recipe. The first is baking powder and the second is buttermilk powder. They work in tandem to brown the wings and make them crispy and golden.
Baking powder contains both and acid and base component and it’s the unique combo that helps raise the pH levels in the chicken, making the skin break down and allowing it to get more crispy and brown.
Buttermilk powder tenderizes the chicken, which makes it extra juicy and also gives it a tangy, complex flavor.
How to make air fryer ranch wings
- Lightly pat your chicken dry. Moisture is not your friend when you want a crispy chicken wing, so be sure to pat your wings dry with a paper towel.
- Lightly oil. Lightly oil the chicken by tossing it with oil or spraying it with spray oil. This will promote even browning.
- Coat the chicken. This is where the magic happens. Toss the wings in a large bowl with a bit of baking powder and ranch seasoning.
- Air fry. Lightly spray (or brush) the air fryer basket with oil. Arrange the wings in a single layer, with some space in between each wing. Space them out evenly on a rack in the air fryer – the middle and the upper part of the air fryer has the best circulation.
- Flip. Flip the wings and fry again.
- Remove the wings immediately so they don’t over cook and enjoy!
You can easily make your own ranch seasoning or you can simply buy it at the store, it’s up to you. Personally, I love the ranch seasoning from Trader Joe’s. If you make it, all you need to do is mix together: 1/4 cup buttermilk powder, 1 tbsp garlic powder, specifically granulated garlic, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1 tbsp dried dill, 1 tbsp dried green onions, 1 tbsp dried chives, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp freshly ground pepper, 1/2 tsp sugar.
Pro tips for cooking wings in the air fryer
- Dry the chicken with a paper towel as much as possible, the drier the chicken, the crispier
- Don’t crowd the air fryer
- Use tongs to flip your wings instead of shaking the basket
- It’s best to use air fryer racks and spread out the wings, the most even heat is near the top and middle of the air fryer, where the element is, so if you place your wings on a rack, nearer to the top, you’ll get more heat.
Other air fryer wings to make
Happy winging it!
Air Fryer Ranch Wings
- 1 lb chicken wings
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 2 tbsp ranch seasoning
- 1 tsp baking powder
Air Fryer Ranch Wings
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 215
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 7.2g45%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.